Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Wagner Memories: Dana Williams '77

What was your first impression of Clark and Wagner? 
The first time we were stationed at Clark I was seven. It was my first airplane ride and I was sitting by the wing. When we started to take off and I saw the flaps move I screamed “the airplane is falling apart!” 

We had been living in Great Falls, Montana for 5 years when we got the orders so you can imagine my shock at the beautiful weather and lushness of the base. I loved it. I never, and still don’t, like cold weather. My second time at Clark I knew what to expect and was looking forward to being older and able to enjoy the many activities the base had to offer. 

What surprised you the most about the Philippines? What did you like best about living there? When we went back for the second tour, I was surprised by how “Americanized” the locals had become. My brother’s high school in Sacramento CA had some bad racial problems, so I was surprised by how well every one got along at Wagner. 

The year before we got to the PI, my Dad was sent to Thailand on a remote tour and my brother was already off to college in TX so for a year I did all the house work and yard work (my mother is crippled and my grandmother was old) so I must admit I loved having a house girl and yard boy. 

 I loved the weather and the scenery and how everyone seemed to accept each other. There was not any “you’re a freshman and I’m a junior so we can’t talk” attitude. And all the wonderful activities. It was great. 

Did you really miss anything from the States and if so, what? 
I missed milk. The reconstituted stuff was horrible and I would not drink it. I also missed fresh peaches. Someone, I think Mindy or Cindy Lawton went stateside once and brought back a dried peach pit. I was so envious. 

Who were your good buddies?  
Chrys Atwater lived next door to me and we were basketball cheerleaders together. We spent a lot of time in each other’s home. Her mom and my grandmother became very good friends. I also spent time with Ginny Navas, Jenette DeMeyer, Sharon and Doug Hetzel, Tammy Fennewald and Danny Grant. 

Where did you hang out? 
 I was all over the place. I leased two different horses (War Chief and Dixie) and was on the horse drill team so hung with the stable bums, I got certified and went to the scuba club, I spent a lot of time pre-developing skin cancer at the O’Club pool and was briefly on the swim team and water polo team and of course… Marlboro Park. 

Who was your favorite teacher/class? 
 Mrs. Sleight - Art

Did you have a part time job - what was it? 
I didn’t have a paying job but I was a candy-stripper at the hospital and pushed the book cart around to the rooms. I also spent a lot of time playing pool with the recovering patients. I was a big hit because I’m lousy at pool and they always won. 

Did you have a crush on anyone? 
True confessions time…. Doug Hetzel (those eyes) and BT Uptmor (that smile) were my big crushes but I was just a stable bum buddy to them. And like the rest of the girls, there was also Dake Vahovich and Bill Featherston (neither of which knew I existed). 

Have you become closer to a Wagnerite that you didn't know well in high school because of a reunion? 
I got to know Myrna, Lisa and Nina after the San Diego reunion and now exchange emails but the best thing about the reunion was getting in touch with those I had lost contact with like Chrys Atwater, Ginny Navas, Melinda De La Fuente and Carol Martin. Chrys and Melinda have both been out to visit me and I had such a great time with them. 

How did your experience living overseas affect you?  
I think anytime someone is exposed to a different culture it makes them a better person in that they become a more rounded and accepting person. 

I am so grateful that I got to go to the 2006 San Diego reunion and reconnected with everyone and am looking forward to this reunion!


No comments:

Post a Comment