Friday, May 20, 2016

Wagner Memories: Mark Anderson '78


This article by Mark was previously posted in 2008

What was your first impression of Clark and Wagner? 
When I left Andrews AFB on Dec 26, 1976, I abandoned my older sister and brother, my friends, and a girlfriend to spend a month in a Travis AFB VOQ with my mom, two little sisters, four walls and frigid cold. Then, in January 1977 I stepped off a plane at this Clark place wearing my wool and leather lettermen’s coat. I gasped for air.

 My prejudices were confirmed---it was hell. The air was heavy and laced with the fumes of burning vegetation. Lizards were on the walls and ceilings, coconuts were not brown and hairy, and my fast food, go-anywhere teenage life was over!

What surprised you the most about the Philippines? What did you like best about living there? From day one, it seemed to me that Filipinos were unbelievably kind. I don’t know if I was surprised, but it stuck in my mind. I witnessed “ugly Americans” several times and would cringe at peoples’ sense of entitlement or condescending attitudes, but the Filipinos were above it; they were genuine.
The thing I liked best about living in the P.I. was the sense of belonging we shared. I don’t think anyone did it consciously, but the situation created a need to gravitate to one another. It was a bond that has lifelong threads.

I also liked the unique words and phrases like: DEROS, Fire Empire, Flight J252, the HOG, so many “days and a wake-up”, Bamboo Bowl, did your sew girl make that, and “sssst I be your girlprend”.
Sunsets, porksticks and San Miguel were pretty awesome too!

Did you really miss anything from the States and if so, what?
Yeah I missed things!! I missed my sister and brother, new music, having two or more channels on TV, an Interstate, Rock concerts, athletic scholarships, malls, four seasons, outerwear, monotone skin color, pointing with my finger, driving over 50 mph, crossing a state line, dry air, not worrying about fungus in my closet, buying more than three cans of fruit cocktail…..

Who were your good buddies?
One of the first guys I met was Frank Fontenot at the gym, who introduced me to Ed Welch (we went to the same Jr. High in Maryland), then Dave Wellman, Joe Avalos, Gray Brooks. After that, I became friends with Waddy Vining, BT Uptmor, Liz Anderson, Rob and Tim Welch, John Ward, Steve and Mike Fernandez, Dave Wilson, Swat (Terry Swatlowski), and the guys on the baseball and football teams. For the first several months, I hung out with Lucy Straughn, who was distraught about being in the PI as well. We laughed about our misery. Her friendship probably enabled me to see the first hint of civility.

Where did you hang out?
I spent a lot of time in my room, in the 200 wing, at the gym, on the golf course, at the Vertigo, Fire Empire (kidding), in my dad’s car (front and back seat), hospital parking lot, bamboo bowl, Silver Wing, baseball diamond, stables, and in the papasan chair in my air-conditioned living room.
 
Who was your favorite teacher/class?
Big daddy Carmone was the man. Honors English was my forte’ and I got a kick out of the way he presented the material. Ms. Weeks always had a place in my heart too because she recognized my depression and tried to help me. On the flip side was Mr. Wilder. He was an excellent teacher, but he couldn’t know my state of mind. I was struggling and he said my stateside chemistry class must’ve been kitchen chemistry. I resented it.

Did you have a part time job - what was it? Off-Base canned goods salesman (doh!), and Phil-Amway distributor.

Did you have a crush on anyone?
Besides Dake? I didn’t have crushes but there were so many girls I thought were pretty. I could name a few, but I’ll forget some too. Let’s see-- Leslie, Jackie, Lori, Karen, Julia, Melinda, Kim, Cheryl, Kelli, Jackie, Sally, Chrys, Tina, Louise, (sorry Doug) and ……Liz somebody or other. The problem was that my head was such a mess I knew I wouldn’t be any good for anybody, so I withdrew.

Have you become closer to a Wagnerite that you didn't know well in high school because of a reunion?
Sure! The reunions are so amazing, but the real irony is that I have come to know people from the reunions that make me regret not having known them better in high school. Myrna, for one, has become such a dear friend I would drive her to the airport, Nina is pretty awesome, Beth Lamoreaux and Joel, OB (Mike O’Brien), the Montes brothers and many, many others are amazing people.

How did your experience living overseas affect you? 
Who would not benefit from the constant bombardment of new and life-changing experiences in a foreign country? I have traveled all over the world to places where I was the first American the locals ever saw; not garden spots. PCSing to Clark prepared me for that travel - even enabling me to enjoy my deployments. It broadened my horizons in ways I can’t even imagine. It gave me life, because that’s where I met the love of my life and mother of my children (Liz Wilson Anderson ’79).

4 comments:

  1. I recognize you Mark Anderson. I remember the name Mark Anderson. And I remember having good thoughts about Mark Anderson. But I swear I cannot remember any Person from my Wagner High School days except your name, PeTe Gifford and Eric Silvis. it's something that I remember your name from way back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to end salutations. I am Dana Jones a student that would have graduated class of 81. But I only attended the school year 1977-78. I am not in the yearbook because I came in October which was too late to get into the yearbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such happy times in th pi , football games and good people

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am seeking to locate a Kim Jones, she was in the class of 1979.
    Anyone that can help please contact me via phone
    616-638-5587

    ReplyDelete